Friday, April 24, 2009

The Waiting Game...

Hubby had his appt w/ the urologist which I have eagerly been waiting for yesterday, soonest they could get him in was a month later so I had been counting down the days until this appt. It is neccesary that he see a urologist as the urologist will be performing the TESA procedure. I cannot start the medications until his part is complete. We antcipated that they would be setting the exact date for this procedure, but the urologist said he would get back to us after checking w/ his nurse to identify avail times. Ugh!!! So, I contacted the fertility clinic to notify the IVF Coordinator and she said we will most likely have to wait another cycle/month. So, looks like for sure in June I will be cycling. I just want to get things moving along! I guess I was hopeful that the urologist would be able to do this sooner and feel a bit let down. I keep telling myself "better late than never."

I attended the IVF class yesterday too and it was fairly informative. I have done a lot of research on the topic so much of it I was familiar with, but it was still educational. I am very nervous to start the stimulating and the progesterone injections. Sounded like the progesterone one is the most difficult as it is an oil base and thicker to inject w/ a 1.5" needle and is intramuscular!!!! It also worries me that so much of this is about timing. For example, if we messed up on the timing of the trigger shot (right before egg retrieval) then you would most likely risk messing up your entire cycle thus far! It is a lot to take in and of course the nurse talked about the emotional side of things, how this may interfere w/ your relationship, your mood, etc...and to try and be prepared in advance for the changes you may experience. She also talked about the outcome, pregnant or not pregnant reporting the success rate of pregnancies to be 50%. If if not pregnant, although devastating, the physicians can learn a lot by one cycle and will attempt to troubleshoot the problem for the next cycle attempt.

When I start to become alittle overwhelmed and begin questioning this decision I read a positive story where it DID WORK and those stories give me a glimmer of hope that this just may be possible.

So for now, I will attempt to think positive and hopefully get a date scheduled sometime relatively soon for the TESA procedure. A suggestion that was provided during the IVF class: take things one day at a time rather than overwhelming oneself w/ the outcome. Just to think that just for today I will take my injection and that will be one step closer to possibly having our sweet daughter. This I need to remember!!

1 comment:

LL said...

Yep! stay positive and take one day at a time. June will be here before you know it.