Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Stroke of Bad Luck?


There is always an end to good fortune...or is there? Well, after winning my closet design from Classy Closets I won a drawing at work winning a tote/freezer bag...wow, I thought...how can this be? Me? Winning again?? Do I dare question my fortune? But it did make me think what is going on? I do not win most things. I have entered many contests and do I ever hear back?? NO! So, without hesitation I gathered my prizes and of course felt blessed for them as I was chosen...somehow, someway I had won!

SUDDENLY...My fortune came to a complete halt!!!

Sunday I am grocery shopping w/ my six y/o son Codey, feeling like I am making good timing, gethering my neccesary items, checking off my list, stashing my coupons when suddenly without notice while in the cereal isle Codey steps in front of me at the EXACT same time I step down catching my big toe nail (yes, it sounds gross) on the tread of the bottom of his shoe tearing my toenail right off...right there in the grocery store, blood flooding from my toe as I anxiously dig rapidly through my purse in desperation to find the one band-aid I had located earlier in my purse that morning (almost throwing it out!) and then there it was!!! I ripped it open and right there started diligently wrapping my toe making every effort to keep the blood contained...oh it was SO painful...my poor Codey felt so bad saying, "I am sorry mom, I didn't mean to mom." SO...off to the urgent care I went to wait two hours and find out all I am able to do it soak it nightly in Epsom Salt, keep it wrapped and wait for a new toe nail to grow back in 6 MONTHS!! Ok...for anyone who knows me this is a serious crisis for me as I am all about open toed shoes, sandals, flip flops, anything that allows my feet to breathe...I even wear open toed shoes in the winter! Well, AZ winter that is ;)

SO....just when I thought my stroke of bad luck was out of the way I was presented w/ another today...I must say it is quite funny. I find myself laughing just thinking about it, but at the time it was really not a laughing matter. So here's my story of the day:
To prep you for the story I must tell you a few small details...I have two chairs in my office that are not well made, they flip very easily if you shift more weight to the front than back of the chair. I know this as I have had several social work students rotate in my area and they themselves have fallen out of them. While thankfully they were not hurt I eagerly ran to their aid, once I was provided the signal they were fine I placed the chairs in their upright positions while pushing a few bars that often come loose back together...now yes it probably would have been wise of me to replace these chairs long ago, but it's not an easy task at the VA, chairs are a rare commodity so without hesitation and making an issue of it remained content w/ the two that I had UNTIL TODAY!!!! So, my good friend Judi knocked on my door for lunch (we often eat in my office) and in an effort to pack a healthier lunch today I chose tomato soup (the large metal microwaveable bowls) over my "usual" Lean Cuisine pizzas. While looking forward to my hot bowl of soup I very ever so carefully was in the process of peeling off the metal top (not an easy task!) and just as it was about to release I find myself airborn! My soup, chair and all crashing down on my butt w/ tomato soup landing literally on top of me...I was sitting on my office floor COVERED in tomato soup...it was on my walls, up the desk drawers, in my hair, on my face, up my arms (had to dig it out from the grooves of my watch and ring!), all over my floor, my clothes (thank goodness I was wearing dark colors!!!) EVERYWHERE...even on some social work boards that the social work committee had planned to display in the hospital! What do you do in a moment like this??? Cry? Laugh? My shoes had even flown off! So, I look up at my dear friend Judi whom was just in complete shock...no longer eating her fish just staring at me asking me if I was ok. Awww...what a friend...checking to make sure I was fine before belly over laughing at me! I smelled like tomato soup the rest of the day..it was gross. Reminded me of when I had to be initiated as a cheerleader in HS and had to walk around all day w/ cracked eggs on my head, in my hair...Ugh! I thought I was going to lose it....ok...back on topic. So, Judi scurried off making several trips to the nearby ladies restroom to bring me a pile of papertowels. I spent my lunch hour w/ a washrag and bottle of water rapidly scrubbing my clothes, but it was a never ending battle as I was COVERED in soup!!!! So, I have taken action and have placed my request for new chairs. Chairs that should have been replaced long ago.....So, this will be one of those days that I will often refer back to when I think I am having a "bad day" b/c I think this tops them all!

So, what's next? Where does my fate sit now? What will tommorrow bring??? Do I dare ask?

3 comments:

Janalee said...

oh my gosh, I can't believe that soup story, I can picture the whole thing.

well these things happen in three's so you're owed one more win and one more bad luck stroke.

Harmony said...

Oh NO!! I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your chair story. (Although I am glad you didn't get hurt.) I hope your request is granted and your receive a new chair soon.

Anita said...

I couldn't help but laugh, Deanna! Imagine trying to work the rest of the day smelling of tomatoes and feeling it in your hair, etc. Ick! But I'm sure you pulled it off with finesse! I could totally see something like that happening in HS and Jana sitting there, bent over, laughing hysterically! That's after shocked looks and making sure you were all right first... Definitely warrants a new chair or two! Nice you had a friend there to help, though. Glad you shared!